Long heralded as Bali’s most famous surf spot, it’s the waves in Uluwatu that have drawn people from far and wide for many years.
In 2019, the pandemic shook the world and, in many ways, Bali was no different.
Many parts of the usually bustling island were closed. A ghost town. However, if you were in Canggu or Uluwatu at the time, you wouldn’t have noticed anything different. As digital nomads hunkered down not knowing when they could leave, many realized that Bali was where they wanted to stay.
Cafes, restaurants, and breakfast spots have been popping up all over Uluwatu since Bali reopened for tourism. You can find virtually any cuisine in the world down in the Bukit now: from Mexican to Korean; Italian to Thai.
Away from the hustle and bustle of the main tourist spots, below are some of our favourite spots to grab a bite or a sunrise coffee:
Spots to eat in Uluwatu
- Suka Espresso (best food & coffee!)
- Bukit Cafe (tasty healthy meals)
- La Baracca (Italian)
- Drifter Cafe (breakfast & coffee)
- Mango Tree (Mexican)
- Land’s End Cafe (best vegan)
It’s not all about the food, though, Uluwatu has some of the most picturesque beaches in all of Bali – think aquamarine blue waters and sandy white beaches. For years, Uluwatu and the surrounding area have long attracted Instagrammers from around the world looking for that perfect shot. But just imagine having these views on your doorstep. Here are a few of our favourites:
Spots to see in Uluwatu
- Balangan viewpoint
- Karang Boma cliff
- Suluban beach
- Tegal Wangi beach
Uluwatu market picture
Unlike the decimated rental market, the purchase and sale market in Uluwatu consistently rose during Covid-19 restrictions. Demand continues to rise, making purchases of off-plan or new builds a low-risk option for digital nomads and property investors alike. The tell-tale signs of a strong property market in Ulu remain a high volume of off-plan purchases and high demand for new builds as people search for their perfect home.
The rental market has recovered remarkably quickly, with an influx of tourists this summer to the island driving prices back closer to their pre-Covid levels. The sale and purchase market continues to climb too, and we expect to see a consistent increase in foreign investment over the coming years. This makes Uluwatu a strong choice for investment over the medium to long term.
If you’re reading this, you’ve likely heard some of the disaster stories of Bali builds. One of the perennial issues on the island is water damage. Poorly laid foundations, bad sealing, and improperly used materials are often the culprits. It is tempting to choose a lower-cost builder, but this is often a false economy: when the heavens open in the rainy season, water will find its way through any gaps or cracks, often resulting in huge repair costs and sometimes even a ruined villa altogether.
Top tips for buying or building Uluwatu real estate
If you’re new to the island or are thinking of or planning to build here, we have put together some dos and don’ts:
- Use Western-owned developers and contracting companies. Many of the worst horror stories we’ve seen have come through unscrupulous builders. Doing your due diligence and finding reputable builders with a track record of safe and sealed villas for you to see is important.
- Do not be conned into buying ‘freehold’. It is illegal for foreigners to purchase freehold titles in Indonesia. At Bali Realty, we have experience advising clients on long-term leases, the best way for foreigners to enter the property market here in Bali.
- Do use a notary. It is important to ensure all the documentation and title for your leasehold is legitimate. You don’t want to leave the country and come back to find. At Bali Realty, we have established relationships with the best in the business.
At Bali Realty, our team can guide you through the whole process: from your initial idea to getting the keys to your dream Uluwatu villa in as little as a year. With over a decade of experience on the island dealing with all aspects of real estate, we have built a network of trusted contractors and development companies who can help design and build your dream home.
Reach out if you need assistance on any aspects of sale and purchase. We are here to help.
About the author
Nathan Ryan is one of the best real estate agents in Bali and will be able to help you secure your wonderful piece of paradise in Canggu. He’s got a wealth of experience and knows everything there is to know about buying and selling real estate in Bali.